We look for more ethical and sustainable ways to operate our business every day.
Early in 2009 we looked for help with this and decided to embark upon EnviroMark certification.
It started with an audit of our carbon foot print. Like many manfacturers we have big feet, but we're trying to make them smaller.
Our biggest consumption is the gas that we use for roasting, we're not sure we can make a significant change to that, so we have worked on the rest and this is what we have achieved so far:
- Recycling all glass, plastic, paper
- Composting all coffee grounds, food scraps, degradable products
- Giving hessian coffee sacks to gardeners (a great weed mat alternative!)
- Using locally sourced paper for cafe supply packaging
- Using printers that use soy based inks
- Sourcing Biogro Certified beans
- Sourcing Fairtrade Certified beans
- Sourcing enviromentally friendly KeepCups
- Stocking a biodegradable takeaway cup option
- Investigating biodegradable foil bags/one-way valves (fingers crossed!)
We are now EnviroMark Gold Certified.